Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Pizza Porcupine Patties

Last night I made a tried and true recipe from a ward cookbook that I got in our first married ward. I love that cookbook and I'll have to share more from there. But this recipe is especially appealing to my kids because it's called Pizza Porcupine Patties. What kid doesn't like pizza? My kids ate it up (of course I had to emphasize the pizza part of it) and we even have leftovers for Tom's lunch. I used brown rice in the recipe trying to make it healthier and I cooked it extra long since brown rice takes longer to cook but it was still crunchy. Not bad, but crunchy. Oh well, it was still healthier even it was crunchy.

Pizza Porcupine Patties
15 oz. can tomato sauce
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 c uncooked regular rice
1 t salt
1/4 t garlic
1/4 t dried oregano
1 1/2 t instant beef boullion
1 c boiling water
1 c shredded pizza cheese

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Reserve 1 cup tomato sauce. Mix remaining sauce, hamburger, rice, salt, garlic salt, and oregano. Shape into 6 patties 1/2" thick. Place in ungreased 9x13 pan. Bake uncovered for 15 minutes. Remove patties from oven; drain. Dissolve boullion in boiling water; stir in reserved tomato sauce. Pour tomato sauce mixture over patties, reserving some. Cover and bake for 35 minutes. Spoon extra sauce over patties. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake uncovered until cheese melts.

No comments: