Friday, January 22, 2010

Chocolate Chip Cookies the Cooks Illustrated way


I consider Saturday TV boring. I hate to be sick on Saturdays because there's nothing to watch. Well, with the exception of America's Test Kitchen. Love that show. If you haven't seen it, it's about a group of people that take a recipe and try to find the best version of it. Now you can see why I like it. I want to try about every recipe they make. They also publish a magazine called Cooks Illustrated. So this is their version of chocolate chip cookies. And it is divine! It's a great version. Supposedly the best according to them. They say the secret to it is the melted butter and the extra egg yolk. I've made this recipe far too much lately. When I need to take cookies to someone or make them for someone this is the one I make. This recipe makes big cookies. I have made them big but I prefer small ones. Small ones took 12 minutes to bake. By the way, the picture of these cookies isn't the best. Mostly because most of the "pretty" cookies were eaten before I could take a picture.

Chocolate Chip Cookies (Cook's Illustrated)

* 2 1/8 cups all-purpose flour (2 cups plus 2 tablespoons)
* 1/2 teaspoon table salt
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly (1 1/2 sticks)
* 1 cup brown sugar (light or dark)
* 1/2 cup granulated sugar
* 1 large egg
* 1 large egg yolk
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1-2 cup chocolate chips (semi or bittersweet)

1. Heat oven to 325 degrees. Adjust oven racks to upper- and lower-middle positions. Mix flour, salt, and baking soda together in medium bowl; set aside.
2. Either by hand or with electric mixer, mix butter and sugars until thoroughly blended. Mix in egg, yolk, and vanilla. Add dry ingredients; mix until just combined. Stir in chips.
3. Form scant 1/4 cup dough into ball. Holding dough ball using fingertips of both hands, pull into two equal halves. Rotate halves ninety degrees and, with jagged surfaces exposed, join halves together at their base, again forming a single cookie, being careful not to smooth dough’s uneven surface. (Dough can be refrigerated up to 2 days or frozen up to 1 month—shaped or not.).
4. Bake until cookies are light golden brown and outer edges start to harden yet centers are still soft and puffy, 15 to 18 minutes (start checking at 13 minutes). (Frozen dough requires an extra 1 to 2 minutes baking time.) Cool cookies on cookie sheets. Serve or store in airtight container.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made these and they were tasty, but they weren't chewy at all. They also didn't look like your picture. Too much butter or too long in the oven? What do you think?
Solveig

Angie said...

I bet it was too long in the oven. That would be my guess. Did you make them big (like the recipe calls for) or small? Sorry they didn't work out.

Anonymous said...

I made them HUGE. I did find the separating of the cookies and sticking them back together an interesting twist. I must have just kept them in the oven too long. My family wasn't disappointed in the least. I'll try again another day because they were tasty.