Thursday, January 7, 2010

Chicken Tortilla Soup


This could be a really long post because I have made numerous chicken tortilla soup recipes. Mainly because I love chicken tortilla soup. And it's fun to try different ones and see how they're different. But this next recipe is my favorite chicken tortilla soup recipe. I seriously could eat it all the time. And in the wintertime I make it a few times a month. There really aren't many recipes I make over and over again because I love making new recipes so much. But this recipe I have made over and over again since I discovered it a few years ago next to a coupon. It was a great find. One thing that makes this recipe the best is it's super easy. But it also is super yummy. So here it is:

Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
2 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes
1 pkg red beans and rice, prepared using pkg. directions
3 c chicken broth
1 ½ lb diced, cooked chicken
2 t chili powder
Pepper jack cheese
Tortilla chips

Combine undrained tomatoes and chicken broth in large saucepan. Boil; add chicken seasoned with chili powder. Reduce heat; cook 7 minutes. Add in prepared beans and rice; heat through. Spoon into bowls. Top with shredded pepper jack cheese and tortilla chips.

Over-used Recipes Swap


This week I also tried a new chicken tortilla soup recipe. Well, this one was called Mexican Chicken Soup and it's a Barefoot Contessa recipe. I had heard this was a good one and it was. It was more involved and took longer to make but I would recommend it also. I probably won't make it as often because it takes longer to make. It makes a big pot of soup which I love because I love leftovers but my kids weren't so thrilled to have leftovers. The avocados to top this soup with are a must. The smooth buttery avocado in the hot soup is a great texture contrast.



Chicken Tortilla Soup

Shredded Chicken:

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of any fat
3 cups of chicken broth or water
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tbsp sweet yellow onion, diced finely
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients and gently boil for 20 minutes. Let the chicken breasts cool then shred with two forks.

Soup:

2 tsp olive oil
2 cups of onion, diced
1 cup of celery, diced
2 cups of carrots, diced
1-2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped (more if you want spicy)
4-5 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 1/2 quarts of chicken stock
1 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
1 1/2 tsp of cumin
1 1/2 tsp ground coriander seed
Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
1/2 a cup of fresh cilantro, chopped (divided)
6 fresh white corn tortillas

Heat the olive oil in a dutch oven over medium heat. Once hot, add onions and sauté until tender. Add the garlic and stir constantly for 60 seconds. Add the carrots, celery, jalapeno, tomatoes, broth, cumin, coriander, sea salt and pepper to taste and 1/4 cup of cilantro. Cut the 6 corn tortillas in half, then cut them crosswise into 1/2 inch strips and add to the soup. Bring the soup to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are soft and the corn tortillas have melted away. Add the chicken, taste and re season if needed.

Corn tortilla strips:

5 corn tortillas
Cooking spray
Sea salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray the baking sheet with olive oil cooking spray. Spray each side of all the tortillas & lay in a pile. Cut into thin strips & spread across the baking dish then season with sea salt. Bake in the oven until golden brown - watch them carefully because they burn easily. It usually takes about 3-5 minutes. (Mine took more like 10-15 minutes)

Additional Toppings:

1 - 2 avocados, diced
Cotija cheese, grated (I just used shredded cheddar but I'd love to try this cotija)
Fresh cilantro (remainder from above ingredients)

Ladle soup into large soup bowls. Add some avocado, tortilla strips, a sprinkle of cheese and cilantro. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Sara and Company said...

That's too funny....I actually made that first soup from your recipe earlier this week and just had it for leftovers. Yummy and super easy!