Sunday, May 4, 2008

Shredded Beef Burritos

While we were at that dinner party the other night that I mentioned in another post one of the girls told me about a great recipe blog and now it's one of my favorites. You should check it out HERE. With Tom's family in town I decided to try one of her recipes that looked easy and it ended up being really good. The easy part was that it was a crock pot recipe so it just cooked all day. There is a little work at the end of it but besides that it really takes no time. On Picky Palate (the blog I got it from) she puts the shredded beef in cute taco cups with a fun corn salsa. I did make a corn salsa but I used my own and I decided that the taco cups would be too hard for the kids to eat so I just made them into burritos (or soft shelled tacos). The meat is really wonderful tasting and tender. Although I did pour some meat tenderizer on it because I'm always afraid of roast coming out tough. I would definitely recommend this recipe and will be making it again.

Shredded Beef Burritos
3 lbs chuck roast
1 thinly sliced white onion
1 teaspoon kosher salt (coarse)
½ teaspoon ground pepper
¼ teaspoon Lawry’s garlic salt
½ Cup water

2 10 oz cans mild Rotel diced tomatoes with chilies (I used 2 cans diced tomatoes and one can chilies)
1 bunch cilantro leaves chopped
½-3/4 Cup reserved beef broth
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Place roast in crockpot on low setting. Top with thinly sliced onions, salt, pepper and garlic salt. Pour water in bottom of crockpot (not over roast), cover with lid and cook overnight or 6-8 hours.

2. Remove roast from crockpot, cut strings off if present. Transfer beef broth to a large bowl, reserve. Shred roast into small pieces and replace back into crockpot on low setting. Stir in both cans of Rotel diced tomatoes, cilantro leaves, about ½ Cup reserved beef broth (add more if desired) and salt and pepper to taste. Let simmer on low until ready to serve.

3. Place spoonfuls of shredded beef into each tortillas and top with lettuce, cheese, and whatever you want.

No comments: