Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Black Beans and Rice

This is one of my family's favorite go to meals.  Some may find that weird but everyone eats this meal and loves it.  And to make it even better, I always have the ingredients on hand for this.  Back in college I had a roommate from Florida and she introduced me to black beans and rice.  We used to just cook some rice, heat some beans and then season it with lemon pepper.  It was fabulous.  At least for us in those college days where top ramen was our staple.  This recipe has a little more layer of flavors but isn't that much more complicated.


  • Black Beans and Rice
  • adapted from allrecipes

  • 1 Tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 cup uncooked brown rice
  • 2 1/2  cups chicken broth
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon coriander (optional)
  • 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste)
  • splash of lime juice
  • 1 can corn (or equivalent frozen corn)
  • 2 cans black beans, drained
  • chopped cilantro
  • green onions
  • sour cream
  • grated cheese

    1. In a stockpot over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Add the onion and garlic and saute for 4 minutes. Add the rice and saute for 2 minutes.
    2. Add the chicken broth, bring to a boil, cover and lower the heat and cook for 45 minutes or until rice is soft. Add the cumin, coriander, cayenne pepper, lime juice, corn, beans & cilantro.  Heat until warm.  Garnish with green onions, sour cream and grated cheese.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this a shoutout to me or another FL roomie? I have one son who claims torture when I serve black beans and rice! I'll try your recipe and see if I get a better reaction. :)
Solveig

Angie said...

Of course it's you Solveig! I don't think I had another roommate from Florida. I think the part my kids like about this is all the toppings they can put on it.